Blake Coghlan had dreams of building the best farm in the Delta.
At 19 years old, Blake Coghlan had dreams of building the best farm in the Delta. He grew up in Holly Bluff, MS to a fourth generation Mississippi farm family. Blake was a promising young farmer with a passion for farming. He was an exceptional person with tremendous potential. He was undeniably authentic, unassuming, easy-going, and loved by everyone who met him.
He attended Mississippi Delta Community College pursuing an Ag Science degree and had plans to further his education at Mississippi State University.
The Blake Coghlan Memorial Ag Scholarship Fund was created at the Community Foundation for Mississippi to encourage young people who share his passion for farming and agriculture. The scholarship provides financial assistance to a graduating high school senior from Yazoo County or Sharkey County intending to study Agriculture or Agriculture-related degree at a Mississippi 4-year or 2-year institution. The award is for a period of one academic year.
Recipients will be selected based on academic achievement, leadership qualities, and career objectives in the field of agriculture.
APPLICANT ELIGIBILITY AND SELECTION CRITERIA
- U.S. citizen
- 2.5 GPA
- At least two recommendations either from a teacher, counselor, principal, or others (one recommendation must be from a school representative).
- High school senior from Yazoo or Sharkey counties
- Graduating senior who will majoring Ag or Ag related degree
- Going to a Mississippi two or four-year college or university
- Full-time student
- Must submit a 500-word essay about why you are pursuing a career in agriculture.
The Community Foundation for Mississippi must receive each complete application at 119 S. President Street, Jackson, MS 39201 by March 31, 2024.
- Completed application form
- Letters of Recommendation
- Official high school transcript with GPA
Applicants will be notified by mail or email about the status of their application. Scholarship funds will be distributed directly to the institution of the applicant’s choice no later than September 1, 2024.
Please contact the Community Foundation for Mississippi at 601.974.6044 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.