The JXN Water Scholarship Fund was established at the Community Foundation for Mississippi to provide financial assistance to JPS high school seniors interested in pursuing a STEM degree (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) or discipline that could lead to a career in water and wastewater operations and management. Applications are open to seniors currently enrolled at a Jackson Public School District high school who will attend Hinds Community College. The award is for four $2,500 scholarships for a period of one academic year, but may be renewed for additional semesters. Learn more about the scholarship fund here.
APPLICANT ELIGIBILITY AND SELECTION CRITERIA
- Currently enrolled senior at a high school in the Jackson Public School District.
- Minimum GPA of 2.5 and significant coursework in STEM.
- Ability to apply and gain admission to Hinds Community College.
- Two letters of recommendation:
- One letter from a teacher that taught the applicant for at least one semester in a STEM subject.
- One from an unrelated adult with knowledge of the applicant’s character.
- A one-page essay on how the water crisis in Jackson has impacted the applicant’s life.
- The deadline to submit applications is April 12, 2023.
Applicants may apply for additional JXN Water Scholarship Funds for additional semesters subject to the following criteria:
(1) Maintenance of a minimum GPA of 2.5 in all coursework
(2) Minimal completion of 15 credit hours per semester and
(3) No more than three previous JXN Water scholarships.
Applicants must submit all materials to formississippi.org/jxnwaterscholarship.
Applicants will be notified by mail or email about the status of their application no later than April 28, 2023. Scholarship funds will be distributed directly to the institution of the applicant’s choice no later than September 30, 2023.
Please contact the Community Foundation for Mississippi at 601.974.6044 or email us at email@example.com.